Welcome! How it all came about and what a good mask does



First of all: Hello and welcome!

I hope you and all your loved ones are well and you are holding up during these crazy times.

I have spent the last few days researching the best materials for DIY masks, because of an offhand comment my mom made. She told me that seamstresses in Vienna have been asked to manufacture masks  and she forwarded me an article from our local newspaper about somebody making sneezing shields (basically ractangles with ties) to protect others from your germs. But it seems nobody is actually making anything to specifically protect you against germs from other people.

As it happens I work with nanopowders in my job (I study material science and work in a lab part time) so I have used quite a few FFP masks. So as a had been sewing quite a bit to destress (I like to make my own clothes as a hobby) and had a FFP2 mask lying around as well, I thought that there had to be a way to make something similar yourself. It's not a good feeling being dependent on stock coming back. In this case DIY is the way to go.
Another benefit of the masks that you will be able to make with these tutorials is that they are washable and thus reusable! They need to be washed after every use obviously (hopefully preaching to the choir here..) - please don't leave them lying around and then put them back on..

But of course masks are not only about being the right shape, the have to be made of the right materials to stop particles from coming in, while still being breathable. The trickiest part of a mask is making sure that there is no leakage around the nose, because bypassing the filtering mechanism would defeat the purpose of a mask . Additionally, if the filter material is too hard to breath through the pressure from your lungs will lift the mask away from your face while breathing out and germs can get into your lungs when you breath in. And that's not even taking into account the fact that if you have trouble breathing in and out you will get dizzy or panicked.

So a mask has to be comfortable and breathable, while still filtering out germs.

Read: Why do I need a mask anyway? next

Happy sewing :)




Comments